Omnipotence

Omnipotence

A searing jet of flame spewed to my left.  I could feel the intense heat and smelled a deathly rotting stench.  Not able to register what those auburn coloured creatures were, I continued running while trying to put the picture together.  Parts of them glowed as if fire existed inside their bodies, but the glow was a ghastly green with strands of black drifting about.  Quickly glancing back, I saw long sharp claws penetrating the concrete and creating sparks as they scraped the debris around them.  Suddenly, a bright light blinded my view and my body instinctively reacted, seeking cover before I grasped what was happening.  ‘Too late,’ I thought, as I felt a tingling sensation creeping over my entire body.  Silence enveloped me.  Still conscious, I saw myself somehow as if I were looking into a mirror, except all was obsidian black except for my pale white figure.  Coarse black hair spiked in every direction, matching onyx eyes stared out from underneath, and before I saw the rest of my body the image dissipated into the darkness.  Head throbbing, vision returning, I attempted to move when a terrible chill paralyzed me. I slowly looked at my arms, then my body, and ultimate my feet. ‘No… it can’t be…’ I thought in horror. I have become one of them.
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” screamed a man near me as he discovered his transformation.
“Klarsha mic mahana detara mas” whispered a voice I could not recognize until I realized the sound came from me.  I began losing control of my body as this entity took over and a surge of power leaped through me.  I understood the creature’s language and purpose, felt the strength and astounding endurance of this new body… and liked it.  Then images of my childhood flashed by; the beatings, the yelling, the arguing… and I felt at home with this new entity.  I had a family now, these creatures saw me as their new found leader somehow, and whether my internal anger fueled and inspired them I have no clue.  Determined to take this opportunity to create a new start, I focused on all the misfortunate events of my life to intensify my anger.  Feeling the monster’s fear and disbelief, I struggled harder, eager to gain its knowledge and abilities and eventually managed to overwhelm the other into submission.  I absorbed the creature’s wisdom and finished my transformation.  Finally able to see, I noticed the others were watching, watching with those glowing green eyes with a newfound respect.  Apparently I was worthy to be their new leader; the previous one had led them into war with another clan and broke a thousand year old alliance.  Our faction, the Sha’rak, had endeavoured to reform order but was overpowered by the other clan. They fled their homes and ended up here… in New York of all places. 
 I observed our surroundings; the formerly beautiful and bright park was now charred and buildings in ruins.  As I turned my attention back to the horde, a low humming began, vibrating throughout my body.   I was mutating again, this time, thankfully, with less toil.  I was their leader, and therefore had to be more resilient, nimble, and charismatic… if that was even possible.  My skin thickened to a plate of armor, enormous razor sharp wings sprouted from my back, and glowing eloquent patterns revealed themselves, much more elegant and ornate than the minions waiting before me.   Delighted at my impeccable physical form, I let out a surge of green blaze.  The Sha’rak turned their head upwards and let out a hopeful cry in return.  Flexing my muscles, I led the Sha’rak towards the abyss from where they appeared and descended into the comfort of the warm earth.  The luminescence from our emerald eyes lit the way as we headed to confront the former leader and restore alliance Mak’nah.